The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Season One review with Lisa and Kate!
The Big Sick is based on the real-life courtship between Pakistan-born comedian Kumail Nanjiani (played by himself) and grad student Emily Gordon (played by Zoe Kazan) who fall in love but struggle as their cultures clash. When Emily contracts a mysterious illness, Kumail finds himself forced to face her feisty parents, his family's expectations, and his true feelings. Also starring Holly Hunter and Ray Romano.
The story is written by Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V. Gordon and is directed by Michael Showalter and produced by Judd Apatow.The Big Sick has a 98% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and is currently one of the highest grossing independent movies of the year with over $42 million in domestic box office sales.
- Arranged marriage vs. “love marriage”
- Family dynamics – parents who meddle
- Culture clash and assimilation
- Sacrifices and the pressure on the adult kids (like Kumail)
- Adult Still’s disease or just illness and it’s challenges in general
- Emily’s parents – Beth + Terry (marital tension)
- Medical/Hospital challenges (living wills, family members choosing for you)
- Discovering this is a real story!
David, John and Lisa are joined by Javier Heredia and Adam Beggy to talk about the return of the blue bug who causes an itch we can never seem to scratch, The Tick!
Donate to the show at patreon.com/electricstreams
You can reach us on twitter @electricstream you can e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org